Skip to main content

Reply to "How do I know if I’m a D1 prospect?"

@RJM posted:

What about kids who stand out playing up in 16u travel ball being recognized and recruited by 17u programs who typically get kids into D1 programs? I would say this is more of an indicator than playing varsity ball. There are plenty of high school varsity players who will never see D1. What a player does in competitive travel ball is more relevant than high school

I would say competitive 16u travel ball is varsity ball without a handful of older 17u studs. I had five of these 15yo kids who were recruited by 17u programs before ever stepping on a varsity field.

My opinion is being pursued by 17u travel programs due to having a quality 16u season is more relevant than playing varsity ball.

To this point - and going back to mine. I think if you're standing out on the 16u travel scene you're probably already a contributor to your HS team.

As you mentioned, 16u travel is harder than HS varsity (most of the time). If you're regularly going up against upper 80 arms or throwing to bats who can handle high 80s velocity, you would probably work the lesser talent in HS ball.

Odds are if a talented 16u travel player isn't playing varsity there is an older player/returning starter ahead of him or he's was not as physically mature as he needed to be when roster decisions were made. Or they just attend a HS baseball power.