Skip to main content

Reply to "How do I know that son is a fit?"

Venezuelan dude in CO posted:
JCG posted:

He's close to where he needs to be academically for Cal Poly (though keep in mind that CA State schools use unweighted GPA) but I don't think that he's a match there baseball-wise unless he brings the velo up.  For Caltech he needs to bring the SAT up and the GPA too, if he can, but I bet the baseball coach would love to have him.

To his list of  CA Engineering -Stem schools he should add Harvey Mudd in D3 and, if his velo trends up, the UC system in D1.

IMHO.

Thanks, JCG, for your message.

Son's velo is trending up. He got serious about training and lifting during this fall; trained really hard for 10 weeks without any distractions ---girls, football, percussion, etc.  and his velo went from 78-79 to 82-84.  We attended a Pitching camp/showcase last weekend and he overheard a conversation in which an assistant coach said to the head coach that his velo was between 83-85; that still needs to be confirmed by the rapsodo report .  So, yes, he is trending up.  He took the SAT at the beginning of his Sophomore year with no preparation (scored 1310); took it again this year with some more preparation, therefore we are optimistic. Son is willing to take the SAT as many times necessary until he scores 1500. In regards to the GPA,  he has straight A's, so I'm guessing he has a 4.0 unweighted.  

Definitely will add Mudd Scrips to the list along with Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Tech and UC Davis.  

Once again, thanks!

Venezuelan dad in CO

You're welcome - btw Cal Poly Pomona isn't really known for its engineering school.

If your son does get to D1 numbers he should also look at UCSD, an excellent school in an excellent location, and which starts playing D1 next spring.

Good luck!