Skip to main content

Reply to "How do you add velocity?"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
Don't laugh..this really does work--

Practice throwing harder. That has been the biggest tool i have used with my pitchers. When they ask me how to improve their velocity I pull them aside and let them throw to get warmed up and thentell them the biggest secret of all- I say "OK, now I want you to throw harder. I usually have them throw in bursts of three building upon each one a little harder each time. The results have been amazing using this simple approach.

I always tell them that if they never practice throwing harder, they will never be able to throw harder- it is a skill that must be learned through practice.

What I have found is that when my pitcher actually tries to throw harder, his mechanics improve naturally on their own- their body moves quicker, they get more separation through their torso to upper body. It is amazing!
G'man is spot on target. One mandatory practice event to increase V is to pitch the ever-loving s*** out of the ball. Note how he prefaces this fundamental truth with "don't laugh". Why? Because most Sport Parents and their Sport Coaches can't see the forest for the trees. Surely there are Super Secret Thangs that lead to sporting glory! To prove that it is so, Sport Parents will shove hard earned, bread paying $$$$ for that Holy Gruel Of Super Secret Thangs.

Super Secret Thangs include Super Secret lingo like "rotational efficiency" crazy or "contributory momentum" or " <his> routines builds those muscles/areas needed for best BASEBALL performance". Which means "no lat pulls or bench presses". Super Secret Thangs, all of them.

So while Sport Parents write Sport Checks for Sporting Super Secret Thangs, and Sport Players long toss, beat tires with sledgehammers, do endless situps (let's not forget the Super Secret "Core"), have Sport Coaches diddle on their videos, spouting Super Secret Thangs about momentum, G'Man gives them a ball and says "Throw the hell out of it."

My bet he's on welfare.