Skip to main content

Reply to "how do you determine what round you think you will go in the draft asked by scouts"

Economics. As a family, we wanted to make sure that our son could live for a period of time without having to worry where his rent payment or meal money was coming from. We knew there would be good times, but were realistic that there would also be "bad" times. We were fortunate in that our son had choices with a wonderful college scholarship lined up.
We set a bottom $$ figure that would meet his modest monetary needs for a period of years. (In essence, this determined the round, i.e. slot money.)We told the scouts that this was the bottom line and held to it. Now regarding rounds, prior and during the draft, I received a few calls from teams asking if my son would consider being drafted in "X" round. I said the round didn't matter, but the $$ did. That cleared the air quickly. Again, my son's other option, if not drafted, was to go to a wonderful school, so he was in a win win position.
Families really need to look at the financial committment of minor league life. Most players don't make enough to cover their expenses adding additional financial pressures other than their game performance. I admire every one in the system and the sacrifices they make daily to try to achieve their dream. In addition, I admire the family support most of these players have to keep them going. Good luck to all this June.
Last edited by NVR1