Skip to main content

Reply to "how do you determine what round you think you will go in the draft asked by scouts"

Rob Kremer,

That is an interesting intrepretation of your sons needs. That illustates why each person needs to make their own decisions. Based on your figures, you need not just 20k per year. You need 20k per year in interest and the original money still in the bank.

I am not knocking it. Just a couple of points. Six hundred thousand would be mid-second round or higher. MLB has a scholarship program that pays for college. I have yet to see a college pay an 100k or 200k signing bonus. With mlb you get that and college. Also, you do get paid for playing mlb. Admittedly, it is very little in the beginning. Ranging from 850 a month for your first year to 2300 a month for AAA 6 or 7 months a year.

I personally have never understood the "must be set for life or go to school" mentality. Especially when you can play the game and go to school if you choose. If one signs for even 125k and manages their money, they can still earn about 15k per year (before minor league pay) and still have money left at the end of a five year "tryout" I have yet to see a school that guarentees a set for life policy and the promise of pro ball later. jmo

Not getting into the the argument that is bound to be made that many do not go back vs. older students are better students. Or the argument of missing the college experience vs. concentrating fulltime on baseball. Everyone has a different point of view.

I read NVR's post as saying that he was concerned that his son have the finances to play ball and not struggle. I don't think that he was advocating being set for life. Correct me if I am wrong. It would be great to have the scenario that you described and I certainly would not turn it down.

When my son was a tenth grader I thought that it would take buco bucks (500k) or more to sign. Well when it came down to it, he chose to do it for considerably less money against my wishes. He had a burning desire and a 94 mph fb, so he chose to go and has never regretted it. He is happy and growing as a man. I am very pleased.