Skip to main content

Reply to "how do you determine what round you think you will go in the draft asked by scouts"

Having been involved in many ways with many drafts... The only thing I can tell people for certain about the draft... is there is nothing for certain about the draft!

Only a very few will know anything before draft day. Each year there are many surprises. For most people these are not "happy" surprises!

Most all parents and players have no experience with the draft. That is unless they've had someone else in their family go through it. And even then every situation is different. Except for maybe the Upton's. Many people rely on their advisors to help them through.

Every year, when it's all said and done, some people change agents (that happens a lot), some change their mind about going college or going pro, offers are made that don't make any sense (both ways).

It's amazing how many people think, and agents claim, their player is going in the first two rounds. I'd guess there's as many as 500 players each year who have been told they will be drafted in the first couple rounds. For a few of them this will become a reality. And then there's the others who are left to adjust to what has happened.

I think a person is best off listening closely to the parents who have been full circle through the draft. But you'd have to listen to a lot of them and still be lucky to have the same situation as yours.

For some people signing a professional contract is "strictly" a money deal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I would prefer the player who wants to go out and play over the guy who is most interested in just being wealthy.

In fact, I'd rather sign 50 (hungry) players at $50,000 each than one who won't play for less than 2.5 million. Same amount of money and I'd like my chances of ending up with much more. Maybe even one or two of these $50,000 players will end up being better than the (not so hungry) $2.5 million player. I'll go so far as to say I think it's very likely!

I do have a lot of respect for those who choose the college route first. But to me the main question should be... Do I want to go to college... or do I want to sign. I know it's not that easy and there's money involved, but to me that is the big basic question. Then you take it from there. There is no wrong answer.