Skip to main content

Reply to "How do you guys do it?"

I do worry about burnout. Not so much with me but with him.

With me it was competitive Golf. I was a pretty good, heck I was a really good golfer in high school and had several colleges looking at me. I quit my senior year because I got burned out on the 5 hour a day practices that it took to get that good.

I think sometimes I am dealing with a similar personality. My son eats, sleeps and poops baseball. He does have other activities like church and band related activities so he isn't a complete one trick pony but I still fear for his sanity when he hits high school.

Then again, this sport just comes so easy for him. He works hard, don't get me wrong, but if I could have accomplished at 12 in golf what he seems to have accomplished at 12 in baseball I would have been on the PGA Tour. I have seen him play club teams in Seattle and I haven't seen one team yet where he wouldn't have been an automatic starter. And he is such a kid playing the game, with so much fun and energy.

I just hope I can keep up. Brett Favre may be 40 and able to hang with the younguns but this 40 year old guy is feeling it.