Skip to main content

Reply to "How do you guys do it?"

I'm new to the high school age but having four sons has taught me a fews things.

My boys are 15, 14, 13 and 10 all have taken lessons and all play baseball all summer, travel, select whatever you want to call it.

The first two sons had no choice, I was going to be the best dang baseball dad in the world no matter the cost, sleep or anything.

I have since realized that while baseball is a huge fun part of our life, it's just that, a part....sure we need to enjoy it, for it will soon pass, but make sure you are doing all this for the right reasons. My first two were worked like mules and while it's paid off for them,

I have taken a different approach with the younger two. And guesss what they are as good or better than the other two were at this 12 and 10 year old age. It seems to me that too much practice and play is not good at a young age when the body has not developed...you are just not going to get the gains you want until their body is ready. So teach them the game, push them to their physical limit but not past it, and instead of spending all the money on lessons, go to another MLB game with them and talk baseball to them enjoy the time.