Skip to main content

Reply to "How does / did your High School coach handle..."

NP13 ...

I'm curious what our panel of Scouts think about a slight twist to your question. They often have to choose which of the two paths to send a recruit down.

I know there was a 1st round choice last year that demanded he be allowed to work at both through his trek in the minors. I guess he wasn't ready to choose. Oriole outfielder, Nick Markakis just inked his 1st big contract ... $60 mil. He was scouted by 26 other MLB teams at Young Harris College (JUCO), They ALL wanted him as a pitcher. It would appear Baltimore got it right. Micah Owings still holds the all time Prep Home run record in Georgia, played both ways at Georgia Tech, made it to the bigs with Arizona as a pitcher. His hitting received more attention than his pitching and was even used as a pinch hitter. He is fading as a pitcher .... maybe Arizona got it wrong???

As a parent and or a player, you wonder about that choice as many can do both well. But which one will they take off at?? Mine has the best arm, and has always, to this stage, been the best hitter. Even up through College recruiting, all have elected to not mess with their for sure 3-hole hitter, even though I think he has the "proto-typical" pitchers body and arm! I would hate to flip that coin.
Last edited by Prime9