Skip to main content

Reply to "How does a left-coaster go about this?"

JBB,
I can only give an opinion. Understanding how some of the local colleges around here recruit players it’s obvious they don’t have a big budget (some probably don’t have ANY budget) or staff to recruit players. They do go through the same motions as the big colleges it is just on a much smaller scale. One would think the west coast player would have to be more proactive to get into the mix. Letter writings, phone calls, and the video would have to factor into being recruited. I would think it would be a big plus if the player could make a trip back to attend a workout for the coaches. You mentioned showcases. I don’t think most of the smaller colleges attend the larger showcases and this could be attributed to their budget constraints. They do attend the more local small showcases on a regular basis but they and the other 4 local coaches are just seeing the local players for the umpteenth time. As I was told one local NAIA coach had some connection with players in the Dominican and would sign these players sight unseen based on the recommendation of his “connection”. Luis Ortiz