Skip to main content

Reply to "How does my catcher stack up?"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

It sounds like your son is outstanding for his age.  He needs to e seen by decision makers.  Is the 2.1 pop time in games or workouts?  If he keeps workiNg hard he will play in college.  His development over the next couple years will determine the level he plays at.  Right now he could go from being an average player to one of the best.

The proof is always determined by eye sight, but not the eye sight it takes to read about his accomplishments.  They need to see him play or hear about him from a source they trust. If they do, they will make it a point to see him first hand.  Then you will be able to stop wondering where he fits in. 

BTW, 2.1 in game pop times would be somewhere around the top catchers at his age.  Hitting stats mean very little until the decision makers see him hit against high level pitching.

Best of luck and stick around this site.  It might end up helping you

more than you and your son could ever imagine.

Sounds pretty good to me.  

I went to a college (19U) summer league team tryout a couple of months ago and the 4 guys there were 2.0-2.3.  Two high school seniors and two guys who were going to be college Sophomores.  

Catcher is such an important and valued position.  Like a center in football, undervalued by fans but not coaches.  Finding a good catcher is always a bonus for a coach I would think.  

I don't work with catchers at all, but, having a catcher that can work with pitchers (catchers get flak for runners stealing but the first half of that equation is on the pitchers) to control the running game, can keep balls in front of him and frame well ect. would be a great value to any team.  If he can hit, that is a bonus.  

One thing I have seen is when kids start trying to really focus on throwing guys out/pop time ect. they start changing their technique.  If they know a guy is going they tend to reach out or lunge for the ball and get off balance, this effecting their throw.  Or they over throw and the ball sails on them.  Just lots of practice and reps and technique work on the very good foundation he already has and I am sure he will have no issue getting some attention.