Skip to main content

Reply to "How does redshirting work in college?"

I would say there were indications he would RS during the Fall just based on the way the Frosh class was breaking out.  There were 8 Freshman, and only 3 did not RS and the other 5 did.  For some context, this is a strong program in DII that won their league and made the WS and had a lot of guys returning and a couple of D1 dropdowns transfer in.  So playing time was going to be rare for freshman.

One Freshman was a stud and started virtually every game in the IF, and the other two who did not RS were pitchers (one of who got hurt too late in the season to RS).  The Fall was where they got to sort out the team and see where the needs were, and then the final decision was made of who to RS.  The team again won the league and made the WS so the roster was indeed strong.

It was a lot of work for the RS to not be able to play in games.  My son was really tested and am sure doubts entered all of the RS minds about being worth it.  The RS adopted a "one for all, all for one" motto to get themselves up for the 6 AM grind everyday.  In the end, of the 5, two of the kids are not coming back (their choice) but so far my son and the other two have survived into this season and will hopefully get a chance to play and contribute.

It is not for everyone, but as D-Mac notes, if the history of the program is to use that RS year to develop and build players into contributors, there is real value in it.  For my son particularly, we were happy he got the chance to improve (he converted from a catcher in HS to PO) and he has a demanding STEM major that the RS enabled him to get some traction in his academics without the travel demands.  And he is going to need 5 years to finish anyway.  I also think he learned a lot about his inner determination.  But for the kids who decide all that work for no action is not for them, I certainly get that as well.