Skip to main content

Reply to "How early do scouts..."

quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
Once agin you are wrong. I don't like you because you obviously don't know what you are talking about and then come on the board claiming to scout for a MLB team. I don't deal with liars and stupidity very well.

Listen.

You can disagree with me all you want, but DO NOT call me a liar.

Like it or not, I AM working with a team cross-checking pitchers for potential mechanical problems. The reason I can't say who it is is because I am obviously controversial and I haven't yet completely proven myself to them.

quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
You don't know where you said anything to the contrary? How does a kid with a plus FB in HS make it to the MLB without developing secondary pitches? Would success in the minors constitute learning to pitch?

He probably won't, and I never said anything to the contrary. What I said is that there's more to pitching than just blowing people away with a hard fastball. The problem with guys who have overwhelming fastballs in HS is that they often never actually learn to pitch, and never have to develop those secondary pitches, and then have problems in college, the minors, or the big leagues when they face better hitters.

If you studied the history of baseball, you will find that it is littered with the stories of guys like Todd Van Poppel and Steve Dalkowski who had great fastballs but who couldn't survive in the show because they couldn't adapt.