Skip to main content

Reply to "How Easy Is It To Get Wally Pipp'ed In College?"

@Francis7 posted:

OK, if you're the starting SS on the best team in the SEC and you got a full athletic scholarship to play ball, you're probably not going to lose your starting position if you beg out of a game or two because your arm is sore or rolled your ankle and you want to avoid playing with a barking wheel.

But, for the rest of college baseball players, how important is it to keep your mouth shut, stay out of the trainer's room, and play with nagging injuries in order to limit the chances of someone taking your position?

Francis - I think it depends on the team, their successes, the talent depth, and how the HC operates.   Once a HC finds a lineup that works and wins, it is going to be hard to change it.   Roles are defined, and if a team finds that magic formula and keeps winning then I think only a serious injury can stop it.   With a team that hasn't discovered success then I think it gets murky, and the HC is open to anything that is going to get results including sidelining someone who is playing injured/struggling.

My son's experience is the HC was very hard set on the position players, but more willing to change pitching matchups, roles and rotations.   When he did change position players it was only on the corners, and it was for offensive reasons...those guys had to hit to stay in the lineup or else.   He did not mess with his C, SS, 2nd Base or CF.  My son's freshman year, our all conference CF hurt himself (ab strain) throwing a guy out at 3rd base against UVA in an early non-conference game.   He kept him in there.

I hope this answers your question.