Skip to main content

Reply to "How fast does a LHP really need to throw to play D1 or D3?"

quote:
Originally posted by monstor344:
my academics come before athletics so I could never get involved in a big-time baseball program (plus, I wouldn't realistically have a chance).

I would love to play ball for schools like Harvard, Princeton, and Dartmouth (and if I couldn't make it in for baseball, I'll likely try to get in just as a student).

I think that you have a very realistic approach to this whole thing, you have determined what is best for you, and there is nothing wrong with going to a specific program for academics first. Smile

OB44 and PG have done a nice job of replying to your post.
From a D1 standpoint, what I have seen, no top tier baseball program recruits LHP with less velocity than 90+, you will find a few LHP lower, but in most cases, they never become starters, and just used in situational matchups (lefty/lefty). That does not change even if someone is getting players out, the coaches from big schools want higher velo guys in their program, period.
But there are some very fine programs with great academic programs that can be as valuable as a Harvard, Princeton or Dartmough degree. What you need to do is contact coaches that you are interested in, that's always a good starting point.

Good luck.