Skip to main content

Reply to "How Good is My Son...How Do I REALLY KNOW?"

quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
While it may be self-gratifying to know how good my son really is it is far less important than him knowing how good he can become.

Bum, thank you! I think you hit the real key here.

I would add that it can be important for me to know how good my son is (or can become) if only in the context of assisting him in finding that out for himself.

My son hung up the cleats after community ball. Normally, we let our kids make their own choices. But, something inside made me delve into his reasons. Turns out he did not think he was good enough for HS baseball and did not even try out. I asked if he still loves the game. He replied "yes". So, I made a deal that I'd send him to a college camp and let him experience a higher level of baseball (and away from "Daddy Ball"). If he didn't like it or think that he could do it, that would be fine. Well, to make a long story short, he went to the camp, learned a ton, played well and he came back with a passion that continues to "fire" to this day. My only regret was that I was not a little more proactive earlier in his career... then again, he probably wasn't ready for the choice before that.

Sorry for the ramble. But, I definitely see it more a matter of how our sons see themselves. Thanks, Bum.
Last edited by SnowBall