Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard do I have to throw to go D1"

Gavin crowley posted:

hi. I'm in 8th grade, averaging around 81 MPH, and maxing out at 83-84. I'm 6'1, 160 pounds. I was wondering how hard I need to throw to go division 1 from this point. Also, how soon should I begin to look at colleges? I'm still young, in 8th grade. 

Gavin, are you on a good travel team?  When I say good I mean are they playing in high profile tournaments?  Do they have a good history with connecting players to colleges?  Are you with people of similar skill?

My son is 14u, he played in a PG event this past weekend that had one starting pitcher in the high 50's and another in the low 90's!  There is a huge difference in this age. Make sure you are on a team that is going to get you ready for high school.  Then when you get there you can talk to your travel coach and high school coach about what level college you should be looking at, and how to get in front of them.

Right now low 80's as an 8th grader is very exciting, keep your innings per year below 100 and get with a coach who can instruct you on shut down periods and which muscles to strengthen in your body to be able to keep yourself as healthy as possible.