Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard do I have to throw to go D1"

Baseball-Dad posted:

Did the RC's see him pitch and express concern using the stats as justification? Or did they not see him pitch and just cited the stats?  The latter would be pretty weak...

They had seen him in the past, but this year has been rife with speculation. He didn't pitch early because of the back pain and, while he didn't avoid anyone who asked what was wrong, he also didn't go out of his way to explain. So, at one point, I was warned by someone we know that many schools were speculating that he had an arm injury. With that also cam a lot of speculation concerning his somewhat unconventional mechanics, etc. Now that he is healthy and on the mound, they look at stats and start speculating again. The line is interesting. 19 IP, 19 BB's, 28 K's, 7 HBP and only 4 hits allowed. ERA went from 1.21 to 2.95 from his last outing - a very bad 1.2 IP. 

It's also interesting how timing works in recruiting. Last year, at WWBA, he got his first start at Lake Point against a very good team (Twelve). He struck out the first two batters and then ran into control problems. There were probably 50-60 recruiters there including every school where there was interest either way, and I mean every single one. He looked bad and only topped out at 86. Really disappointing performance. Four days later, off site, he's sitting 87, hitting 88 consistently and mowing through the lineup with control. Nobody around. That's just the way it works, sometimes.