Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard do I have to throw to go D1"

Gavin crowley posted:

hi. I'm in 8th grade, averaging around 81 MPH, and maxing out at 83-84. I'm 6'1, 160 pounds. I was wondering how hard I need to throw to go division 1 from this point. Also, how soon should I begin to look at colleges? I'm still young, in 8th grade. 

Gavin - I am not a pitcher's parent but what you've posted here seems mightily impressive.  Here is a different way of evaluating things.  Start attending college games at all levels and sit near or behind home plate.  Most/many programs have someone charting pitches and they usually  have a radar gun.  Peak over their shoulder and see how fast guys are pitching.  See how they locate their fast balls.  Do they take a little off and add a little on to their fastball to keep hitters constantly off balance.  Do they throw a straight change up, slider, curve ball? 

Say you see someone with an impressive change up, after the game approach that player and ask him how he throws that pitch.  Do likewise for other pitches.  If no radar guns are available use your eyes and ears.  Does the ball pop the catchers mitt?  Do they appear to be throwing way harder than local high school pitchers that you admire?

You can attend showcases or college camps and they will give you advice about where you might project in the future.  Heck, given your age, size and current velocity, they may even make an offer now.  If not, maybe they can give you pitching advice so that when you have matured a bit more, you will be ready to turn their heads.  I guess what I am really saying is you have the power to figure this all out on your own.  Nobody here at the hsbbweb can predict future baseball things based off of a few written sentences on a message board.