Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard do I have to throw to go D1"

CaCO3Girl posted:
Gavin crowley posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

RHP or lefty?   My son is at a mid-major D1.....there are plenty of guys throwing 85-86 on the teams he's played against over the past two years.  90+ will get you noticed by some bigger schools....especially if you're a lefty.  Keep in mind velo isn't the only thing.....college umpires seem to be tighter with their strike zone than HS, so being able to control the velo is probably just as (if not more) important than just throwing hard.  If you're at 83-84 as an 8th grader and have reasonable control....I'd say you've got a pretty good shot....that's easily the upper end of what 8th graders are throwing velocity wise.

Unfortunately I am a righty. I have wanted to be a left my whole life lol. My control is not perfect but it certainly isn't bad at all. I usually walk 1 or 2 if I throw a complete game. However, I tend to fall behind in counts sometimes and I am forced to come back. This rises my pitch count, but I normally get away with 90-95 pitches in a complete game. It's a little much, so I am working to get that down.

Gavin, how many innings do you think you throw in a calendar year, like January-December?

I know I threw 45 for travel, not sure for middle school. I probably threw a total of 75-80 innings. Arm health is my #1 concern.