Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard should i be throwing?"

stuff804 ,
When you talk to other baseball players , and they find out that you're a pitcher , the same question seems to come up , "How hard do you throw ." Some people tend to equate your velocity , with how good you are . It is just like when people find out that you lift weights , the common question is "How much do you Bench Press " . I've never heard anyone ask "How much weight can you do for 15 reps on Leg Curls ." But that's just the nature of the game . I do understand your desire to throw harder . Everyone that has ever stood on that hill wants to throw harder . But there are a couple of things that you can do to help yourself reach your potential . First of all , make sure that your sound mechanically . This can not only help you to throw harder , but it is a big part of staying healthy . Next , you must make sure that you maintain your Shoulder Program and Stretching Routine . On your flexibility program , make sure that you are doing both your upperbody and your lowerbody . Your upperbody stretching is crucial for the health of your arm , and for your recovery time . Your lowerbody flexibility can have a direct impact on your velocity . The last area of concern is your weight-training . This can have either a positive or negative effect on your velocity . If you are doing a program that is specific to your needs as a pitcher , you should see a positive increase in your velocity and recovery time . If you are doing a program that is not geared for a pitchers needs or you are not doing a good job with your stretching , you have increased your chances of injury or decreased arm speed . You also must look at your throwing program . How many days do you play long toss ? What do you do the day after you pitch ? As a pitcher with high goals , you must have a plan and stay with it . Do not let anything come in the way of your desire to be better . But in the end , you must remember that its just a game , and you need to have fun . I will always look back at my high school and college days as a GREAT experience . Work hard , respect the game , but most of all enjoy every moment that you are on the field . When it stops being fun , find something else that you enjoy ,
Take Care ,
Kerry