Skip to main content

Reply to "how hard should i be throwing?"

RJM posted:
2019Dad posted:
RJM posted:

Welcome Dinger ...

i assume you will be sixteen and a soph in the spring. How far do you expect upper 70's to take you? If a kid wants to be a college pitcher velocity matters, a lot. Take advantage of what you can learn on this site. If you're interested in competing past high school learn how to match your velocity and academics with the right prospective college programs. But first, take care of your arm. Get healthy.

For future reference any baseball performance before high school varsity and 16-18u is irrelevant other than for a handful of early developing, jaw dropping potential top pro prospects.

Since he was a freshman one day ago, my assumption is that he'll be a freshman in the spring.

Thank you for finding an irrelevant mistake just for the point of being critical of my post. The important part is chances are he will be sixteen.

I agreed with your advice to take care of his arm and get healthy.

The reason I was critical of your post is that telling a freshman who is at 77-79 (which is very solid for September of freshman year" -- 79 mph is the 87th percentile on PG for the class of 2020) -- and for all we know who turned 15 in September as well -- "How far do you expect upper 70's to take you?" is unwarranted, in my opinion. He never said he expected upper 70's to take him anywhere. The implication, it seemed to me, was "you're not that good, and, heck, you're probably almost 16 anyway." I acknowledge, RJM, that it may be simply that I inferred that, and you didn't intend it. If that's the case, you have my apologies.

P.S. -- I would guess that most freshmen who are 15 on October 1 of their freshman year have summer birthdays and their parents held them back for one reason or another.