Skip to main content

Reply to "How important are home runs for HS player?"

SomeBaseballDad posted:

My kid, as a freshman playing varsity, hit .491 with 2 HR's . Both came in one game in sectionals. Sophomore year, full time varsity .449 with 2 HR's. One during season and one in sectionals (same team, same pitcher as year before). During off season he started seeing a very good trainer, put in the work. Half way through the season 6 HR's. All legit with a couple flat out blast. Hitting about .385 right now with about three times the strikes outs as the first two years combined.

So right now I don't know how I feel. The HR's are nice, but the lower avg and all the k's are hard to take. In his defense he's not swinging at bad pitches any more than normal or trying to kill it. He made a name for himself the last two years and now every first at bat in a game brings a coach to the mound and a bevy of curves and junk. Umps calling anything close to the plate leads to a lot of 0-2 counts without ever swinging the bat. I guess be careful what you wish for, because every pitcher you face trying to throw around you can lead to some frustrating at bats.

My son experienced the same his junior year at college (D2).  By mid season he had 4 HR's and most pitchers were throwing him junk - very few FB's.  Wasn't much he could do but adjust to the off speed stuff.  Still hit two more HR's including one in the conference tournament.