Skip to main content

Reply to "How Important is 15U Baseball?"

3and2Fastball posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

How does he measure up with other kids in his age group?

That is tough to say for sure because despite being 5'10" 165 at 14 he is physically under-developed so far compared to the top peers in his age group.   We've all seen  14U Games where it is Men vs Boys in terms of physical development and my kid right now is one of the boys.  His Mom is 6'2" and he has several cousins who are 6'5" to 6'7".   We think he could end up being 6'3" or 6'4" but we'll see.

He seems to be able to hold his own against the kids who are further through the puberty chain.  He's had a few D3 coaches tell him that if he keeps working hard he can at least play D3.  As an 8th Grader he participated with the high school kids in winter workouts and held his own.  He played up in Fall Ball in the fall of 8th Grade with a JV team and hit .300 or so and played solid D at 2B/LF and was good at SS but lacked arm strength at Short to turn heads and wasn't fast enough in CF but played all those positions, and has been swinging BBCOR since then even though 14U allows Drop 5's.  I think he has a chance to make the best travel program in our region/state but would be a backup on that team until he grows more & fills out physically.

He'll be done with 8th grade next month

I don't know his measurables yet, will start to get them this summer.  I doubt they would get him any sort of early recruiting attention except for perhaps his exit velo.  

Frankly, in order to make an informed decision you need to know his measurables.  Beg, borrow, or steal a radar gun and get some idea of his exit velocity, throwing velocity, and 60 time. Them you can see how he stacks up today.  Spending time and money traveling to the "big events" if he's just average will be a waste.  To stand out there you need to be something special, very special.