Skip to main content

Reply to "How is it possible to feel sorry for them?"

The owners are wealthy. But most teams aren’t making money hand over fist year after year. The return on investment is when the team is sold. But I don’t have an issue with players being paid whatever the market will bear.  What the market will not bear is ten year contracts. Does anyone wonder if the Angels have any regrets over the Pujols contract?

Even seven years is risky. The Red Sox were fortunate the Dodgers were willing to take on Carl Crawford’s ridiculous seven year contract. When it was signed I was shocked a 29yo with a speed game got a seven year contract. I figured the Red Sox were willing to suffer later for immediate return. They turned out to be wrong all the way around. 

What set me off last week was Even Longoria complaining about management. Anyone publicly complaining making what he makes is out of touch. He signed a lucrative six year contract five years ago. In four of the five years he’s had an average OPS. He’s been a waste of money. 

I wouldn’t want to give Harper ten years. He plays so aggressively he’s offen banged up. How will he hold up in his 30’s. I wouldn’t want to give Machado ten years and hope his attitude holds up. 

Like I stated I’m not against whatever owners will give players. But how much is enough? With money where it’s at for top players I would think more would be looking for the optimum place to play and live not bragging rights on the biggest contract. There’s always going to be the next bigger contract some else signs. Let’s say someone signs for 200M instead of 300M. It’s about 100M after taxes. If you have 100M in the bank instead of 150M what the hell is the difference? Once you have 10M you’re a 1 percenter. Take 100M and put it in a no risk 3% (CD bad investment). Chances are you can do better investing wisely. But it’s still 3M per year in interest. 

The players who get screwed are those who are part of the domino effect. Until Harper and Machado sign this year’s market for players isn’t actually established. 

If there is a problem it’s the fault of the players and the players association.  In the last negotiations they agreed to a soft cap (luxury tax and draft slot penalties). 

Last edited by RJM