Skip to main content

Reply to "How is it possible to feel sorry for them?"

Matt13 posted:
old_school posted:

A 10 yr deal has small chance of being a winner for an organization, if you include the Manny factor it is considerably less, they are just beginning to figure it out. Scott Boras doesn't care a damn bit about anyone but Scott Boras, that includes his clients. Bitch all you want about greedy owners and players but the market forces eventually find a value. 

Player strike in 2022 - they would be JACKASSES TO WALK OUT ON STRIKE but then again...

Hungry dogs run faster

The "market force" in this case is collusion. Whether it rises to the level of criminal behavior, I don't know.

I believe the market force is good business sense. If a team signs a bunch of long term contracts they will get stuck with a bunch of dead money. 

Between Sandoval, Ramirez and Castillo the Red Sox got stuck with a lot of dead money. They have Prices huge contract for four more years. They were fortunate to get out of the Crawford contract. They’ve paid a lot in salary tax and loss of draft position. With all the young players they have coming into free agency in the next two years they can’t afford to sign Kimbrel to a long term contract. Plus I don’t believe he’s worth after he became Maalox Man out if the pen at age thirty.

The Red Sox have been trying to work a long term deal with Mookie Betts for two years. I’m betting it hasn’t got done because they haven’t offered beyond 5-7 years.

Even the Yankees chose to build through development rather than offer a lot of long term contacts. The Dodfers spent so much money the past few years they can’t afford to spend anymore.

If the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodfers are now spending wisely the players and afents better take notice. These are the teams with money. 

I cant imagine what Harper wants if he turned down 10/300 from the Nationals.

Last edited by RJM