Skip to main content

Reply to "How is it possible to feel sorry for them?"

RJM posted:

Phillies fans can be excited today. In about years six through thirteen they will be constantly bitching about Harper. 

However, without knowing how the contract is structured it’s about 25M per year. 25M might be a great deal in a few years if Harper is still performing. 

I believe Harper is overrated. He plays hard and gets banged up. I don’t believe he has anything close to a thirteen year shelf life as a top producer. I see an end result similar to Pujols. 

In the short term I’m happy he’s not signing with the Dodgers or Cubs. While the Red Sox are in capable of getting to the World Series mode these two teams are the top threats. In the beginning I was hoping he wouldn’t end up on the Yankees or Astros. 

Astros were never a consideration, unless a short term pillow deal.  They've got some bills coming due in a few years.  You will see 3 of these 4 hit free agency.  Correa, Springer, Altuve and Bregman.  I hope they don't see Cole on FA market.

Not sure about the Yankees.  All the write ups are about how smart they have become with money, moves and player development.  But then again they took on G Stanton's deal.  Stanton's not even Lance Berkman, and that is with Berkman's broken down and old years included. Don't believe the born again Yankees.  

Familiar cries of "Not worth it" are yelled at the sky everytime a big deal is signed.  Player salaries as a percent of revenues are at their lowest level since the days of Curt Flood.

RJM, did Shaughnessy put down his scotch long enough to log his opinion?