Skip to main content

Reply to "How is your college player handling the quarantine?"

It's hard to say.  Baseball was going great, both for the team and for son personally.  Freshman year was going great.  Then it stopped literally as they were preparing to board a bus for an away weekend.  He went straight to the airport with the stuff he had with him for the weekend trip.  This was three weeks ago.  He's been home ever since, trying to keep up with classwork, staying connected to his college buddies, re-connecting with his HS friends.  It's weird, like he's stuck between two worlds right now.  His spirits are good but deep down I'm sure he's feeling like he got screwed.  It helps that everyone (every school, every level, every sport) is in this together.

He just talked to his coach the other day.  It was good to feel that connection.  I think his head is now looking to August for the start of fall ball.  Right now is down time and he's hoping to use the early part of summer to hit the weight room, resume hitting and long toss, etc.  He wants to pick up where he left off and have a big year.  His hunger for more seems stronger than I've seen it, so that's something good coming from this.