Skip to main content

Reply to "How long is an offer usually valid?"

It depends on the coach, timing and needs, both yours and theirs.

My 2018 got a D2 offer after his sophomore year. Coach told him he was not in a rush and expected that he would get other and better offers, but wanted to be in early so son would know he was wanted. That offer was still outstanding when he committed elsewhere. It was a good school that was in the running until the end.

Another made him an offer before his junior season, and told him that they had x amounts of scholarships to give. They then kept in close touch with him as other people committed, taking some of that available money. When he committed elsewhere, I think they still had one spot left to give.

Later in the process, a couple of coaches did tell son they had a specific deadline maybe a week out. I was proud of son, he responded with a list of visits he had scheduled and told coaches "i have promised to do these and I keep my word. If you need to move on from me before then, that's up to you, but I'm not going to go back on my word to others because of your deadline. I'll be able to give you an answer by this date."

Now son had the luxury of knowing he had multiple offers and that he was still hearing from new schools at that time. He might have felt differently if he had been at the end of his junior summer with only the one offer.