Skip to main content

Reply to "How many???"

I feel your pain on this subject. I have one son that has a 504 because he has hydrocephalus and has had 9 brain surgeries. He is supposed to get a copy of the notes from the teacher because he has problems with eye tracking and trying to copy notes from the projector to his paper is a disaster. He is pulled out of class to have his test read to him also. The teachers think since he looks and acts normal that he is just trying to be lazy but if they only really knew what he has gone through they might change their tune. They see a very athletic kid who they think is just trying to play the system. We are lucky because his twin brother takes the same classes so when they study he will read out loud so the other one can listen because he is an auditory learner. 

I don't think a kid trying to play the system would be taking calculus, chemistry and some online college classes his junior year,  all this while keeping a 3.5. They both took the ACT and he wanted to take it with no help like extra time or being read and he did not do good at all. His brother did good but he felt discouraged and like a failure because of course he has his sights set high and knows he needs a good score. I just wish the teachers could understand the issues that some of these kids have. We had one teacher call him ED as in special ed because he had to leave to go take a test. She forgot his brother was sitting in class when she did that, needless to say she now teaches an elementary class.