Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

fishnsail posted:

Yeah I thought 55 was a ton too!  Program is rebuilding and we thought we would have low mid 40's.. but it appears that they have a ton of Juco transfers that have far exceeded the "whatever typical amount of Juco transfer's " is. 

There are only a few spots that are not up for grabs, maybe like 3 or 4 - the remaining 30 or so rosters spots are pretty much up for grabs.  I know that this isn't typical and you could feel the nervous energy in the freshman's faces when I was there.  But the good news is- if they work hard and do well, they will earn a spot. There will be no waiting behind upper classman .  Freshman will have a decent shot at starting for position players and getting innings as a pitcher. Cather is up for grabs, SS, 1b, 3b  even Friday starter..

still- it seems like a lot.  I am sure the upper classman were astonished as well.   A lot of Plan B's will need to be formulated. 

Wow, sounds like an awful situation.  I would caution your "freshman will have a decent shot at starting for position players" comment, especially because you mention a ton of Juco transfers.  It's tough enough for a freshman to earn playing time....throw in a bunch of guys 2 or 3 years older and that "tough" just got even tougher.  Juco guys being brought into D1's are typically "D1 guys" that didn't go D1 out of HS, for many different reasons.  Now those guys have a year or two of college experience....and are showing up expecting to contribute.   D1's don't bring in Juco guys unless they expect them to contribute and play right away.  They don't bring them in to "fill roster spots".  Good luck to your son....hopefully things work out well.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015