Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

Backstop22 posted:

Son's experience with a strong D2 is typically about 40 in the Fall, with usually 1-2 cuts and 3-5 Freshman are tagged for Redshirt (RS) year.  And RS is legitimate with many of the kids who RS as Freshman contributing in later years. 

Hard to believe any good comes from rosters of 50+ at any level.  It is hard enough for many players on 35 man rosters to get their ABs and innings--there must be little hope for so many kids who have to put in the work and time commitment to be on the team with these huge rosters.

I agree.  It's tough on these young men who work hard only to sit all season or be "cut", at least in part because of the numbers game.  I suspect some coaches say, why does roster size or number of Fall invitees matter?  What, are you afraid of competition?  Of course not.  But to me that is not exactly a fair point -- when you get over 50 players, can the Coaches truly assess everyone adequately and fairly?  In any case where there are cuts, there is a risk that some favoritism or inequality of opportunity could come into play.  It's just human nature and unavoidable.  If the invited/walk on/preferred walk on player is advised of what the numbers are and goes in with his eyes open, that is one thing.  But it seems there are many instances of the Coach not exactly giving full disclosure.  I would hope a Coach would not encourage a recruit to enroll to meet quotas or to earn a bonus but apparently that does happen.  I agree that due diligence is essential - but as other posters have stated, this information is not always publicly available, and even if you ask the Coach directly (which can be difficult to do) or other players, you may not get the whole truth.

This Board could be useful to report this type of information, but understandably folks are hesitant to report "private" information on a public forum, even with a screen name and the person reporting could be unrealistic or have an axe to grind, which renders some of the information useless.  The power of information is with the HC and hopefully he or she is acting fairly.  The player has to go in with his eyes open, control what he can control and hope for the best!