Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

anotherparent posted:

Fishnsail, your story is a cautionary tale for recruiting.  There are many on this site, long-time posters don't seem particularly surprised by it, but new-ish people (like me) are probably shocked.  I'm following several of my son's D1 friends, most of whom are on fall rosters of over 40 (although nothing like 53).  I am concerned for some of them (fall ball playing time, as per another thread); I've realized that I have no idea whether any of them is on athletic scholarship or not (not something people talk about).  Presumably if a program is fully-funded, only 27 could have scholarships, that would mean your son's school persuaded more than 30 players to walk on.  That is pretty outrageous.

thank you .  Yes  we are a bit concerned.  The not knowing and being on the edge part is a big ordeal for many of the kids,  mine included.   While you try to visualize going to this school for the duration ,it can be a bit unsettling that your direction can change in a blink.   But isnt that how life is? 

It is how we deal with the adversity ,challenge and change that hopefully makes us a stronger person. 

Of course, at the same time , we hope that he feels like he has a secure home.  

I try to imagine myself in everyday life , if my current work or home situation was in limbo. 

How would we handle it?  and we are much older and more mature with experience.   

Put that pressure on a 18 yr old and I am sure that it can be a cause of reflection and second guessing. Combine that with many new responsibilities.  

Sink or swim...  eventually they all swim..