Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

PitchingFan posted:
adbono posted:
PitchingFan posted:

I don't think 53 is that far off in today's world.  Most D1's have 45 plus which WE don't seem to grasp.  I hear all the why would a coach bring in 45 players when he can only keep 35 players.  Because they can.  They have to make sure they have 35 plus some in reserve.  The guy who brings in 35 has injuries and guys quit and leave for other reasons and he ends up with 30. 

On the girls issue.  I get amazed at the parents who almost push their high schoolers to have a girlfriend.  Mine had several girls he liked his senior year and into summer but refused to have a girlfriend because he knew he was going away for college and would not be home until Thanksgiving which has only changed by 1 weekend.  WE kept reminding him it is okay to date but don't get serious because those long distance relationships normally don't work. 

I will also add one of the benefits for my son is knowing players that are at the school and coming in.  He had relationships with players and non-athletes before he arrived.  I think that is a huge part is knowing people.  It helps take away from the lonely/homesick aspect.  It takes a special kind of kid who can go hours away from home and not know anyone at the campus. 

I agree with all you said - except 53 not being excessive.  If you had to establish a norm for fall roster I would put it at 45. I think 53 is ridiculous. JMO 

Let me clarify.  53 is not ridiculous as the norm but I think it is too many.  I think it should be around 40-45.  Unless there are extenuating circumstances.  I know why the do it but I don't know that I agree with the mentality.   It think it depends on how many walk-ons you are allowing in the fall to participate all fall.  I am more agreeing with guys who give a large number of walk-ons a chance as long as they are honest with them and tell them upfront that there are X number of walk-ons competing for X number of positions.  I think there are still guys who will give it a chance at a P5 to get that chance.  But I don't think most people do the work or want to know the answers.  They just assume if they are allowed to participate in fall then they will be there in the spring.  And then their hearts get broken and they say why didn't the coach tell us this.  It is our job as parents and players to know the playing field at each school we are considering.  I know some schools will not bring in more than 38 players in the fall.  You are pretty much guaranteed a roster position in the spring if invited to fall.Those are the rare ones.

Agree that those are the rare ones, but those are the ones you need to find !