Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

PitchingFan posted:

I don't think any coach we talked to mentioned how many players would be there in the fall.  I always saw it as our job to find out what their norm was.  But I will admit that my son's mentality was it is my job to earn my spot.  If I don't it is not the coach's fault but mine.  His job is to give me the opportunity and it is my job to earn it.  I don't think freshmen put in the extra time they should.  A coach told me recently that most freshmen do not put in the extra work it takes to catch up with the guys that have already gone through it and are there.  They think they can just do what they did in high school and compete.  In the top programs, for a freshman to compete they have to really be the freak or have to work harder than ever.  Many get so caught up in school life and being on their own that they don't put the extra hours in to truly give themselves a chance to be on the field whether that is extra hitting, fielding, lifting, or running.  Whatever it is for them. 

But how is that possible?  Every player who has ever posted a tweet with their commitment has had their parents and travel coaches reply to that tweet with " so proud! no one has ever worked harder than you have for this" or "this is the hardest working player I have ever been around"?  Surely that coach is wrong...