Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

I think most people look at it the wrong way. The problem isn't the quantity of rostered players in the fall, the problem would be that the coach lead a player on to believing he was good enough to being a rostered player when he really had no shot. If we are going to get caught up on whether 38 or 44 is the number that is too many and that is the reason for the cut - then the player in question never had a chance at being part of the 25ish man group that gets regular playing time. 

2019 is at a school where there are more than 40. The only guys worried about getting cut are the walk-ons and the upperclassmen who have logged minimal playing time and play a position where younger guys are better. That tells me that the walk ons knew what they were getting into and that the upperclassmen didn't develop like they were supposed to, which is the reason they were recruited. This is where the player and the family have to sit down and really evaluate all the options. If 2 P5 schools offer walk on spots and 10 mid majors offer money that tells me he's a mid major player. If 1 D1 offers a walk-on spot and 6 HA D3 schools offer to push him thru admissions it tells me he's a D3 guy. Unless there is money attached the investment is only as strong as the fall performance. The difference between 39 and 42 is small, the difference between "you'll have a chance to make the team" and "we see you competing for a starting spot right away" is the big difference. I understand Juco is different but that is a different animal and truthfully not for everybody.