Skip to main content

Reply to "How many players is too much on Fall Rosters?"

I agree with you guys and disagree with you guys.  I don't think anyone who did their due diligence unless it is a new coaching staff shouldn't have known what they were dealing with.  I smiled when I read Smitty28's post.  I think you should know about how many are showing up in the fall.  How do you not go to a fall practice or scrimmage at some point before you commit?  How do you not talk to players on the team and previous players for the coaching staff?  How do you not look at every article that appears about recruiting at the school?  If you are not doing this, then you are not realistic.  My son knew before he walked on campus that there would be 40 plus show up for fall and more for walk-on day.  He knew he would have to beat out about 20 pitchers to get playing time and that does not count how many he would have to beat out to get to bat as a pitcher.  If you don't think you can do that, then you don't need to go there.  I tell players all the time, before you get to compete against the other teams on your schedule you have to compete against the guys wearing the same jerseys to get to compete.   I don't care if there are 35 or 95.  If you belong there, you will be able to compete to earn a spot in the 35.  If not, then you don't need to go there.  I get so tired of the it's not fair stuff.  Life's not fair.  If you don't want to compete and earn a spot, then don't commit to play college ball.  It is not for everyone.  I've never seen a coaching staff go from 35 players in the fall to 50 players in the fall.  You should know what you are getting with every staff if you are doing your homework.  A coach has a job to bring in the best players he can to compete.  I don't think he is obligated to tell you upfront how many he is bringing in unless you ask.  If you ask, he should tell you the truth.  But if I'm a coach and you ask very many questions about the fall roster I'm probably not bringing you in because you probably aren't the player I'm looking for.  My son was told from day one that to compete in the SEC you would have to beat out a lot of SEC level players.  Everyone who steps on campus to play at an SEC school is really good.