Skip to main content

Reply to "How many prospects can an Ivy school run through admissions?"

You've actually asked a couple different questions here.  

Coaches have liaisons who's sole purpose is to be a link between Coaches and Admissions and qualify (check/doublecheck) recruits prior to submitting a Pre-Read.   That is a lot of time, effort and resources for the coach, liaisons and admissions to review a recruited athlete for Ivy admission.   BTW...there are more sports than baseball, so I don't think they are wasting time, and resources doing pre-reads on anybody they are not serious about.   I think my son told me there were 230 recruited Ivy athletes in his freshmen class for all sports. 

Typically, Ivy recruits know whether or not they've passed pre-read muster a week or so after submitting academic records.    I know in my son's case they knew weeks before they offered...they knew he was coming to campus on a specific date.  If they have not given pre-read feedback then your second question is interesting because I think it depends on the recruits status (borderline or not), budget, and distance from the school.  If the school is your son's dream school, he's borderline, he's been invited and it isn't too expensive to get there...I'd do it.   That is an opportunity to sway a coach.   If he is a long shot, it is $1K to fly there and the coaches seem like they are hedging elsewhere then you've got some tough decisions to make or possibly another phone call to make before purchasing that ticket.    

This gets into a sense of knowing whether your son is a "buyer or a seller".   The “buyer” in the relationship is the one who is evaluating choices. In the conventional sense of the word, the buyer is the one with the money and needs to be convinced that the seller is offering something worthwhile. In the Coach / Recruit relationship – the coach is trying to sell his product (the school and team) to the top recruits, while the lower level recruits are doing their best to sell their talents to the coach.For example, are you the one making more of the calls and waiting for your messages and emails to be returned? If so, that sounds like you’re the seller.   Is the coach calling you regularly just to check in and let you know interesting or exciting things that are happening on the team? In that case, you’re the buyer – he’s the seller.

One of my favorite articles of all time - http://www.tier1athletics.org/...a-buyer-or-a-seller/

Good luck!

Last edited by fenwaysouth