Skip to main content

Reply to "How many prospects can an Ivy school run through admissions?"

Every Ivy coach - particularly  the ones who have done this for many year - can generally simply look at an academic resume and determine if the kid should get a formal pre-read. This is the first "academic cut," but not the last.

My info is from the entering class of 2010, but this is how it worked:

• coach sees a player play;

• coach asks player about grades, courses, and scores;

• coach forwards official transcripts, scores, academic grades to liaison or directly to his admissions contact; (no limit)

• coach gets a good understanding of whether player will be admitted;

• coach offers an official visit;

• On the OV, amongst other things, player/parents meet with admissions and financial aid officers; (in 2010, OVs were first weeks of September senior year.)

• At OV or shortly thereafter, if the kid is in the top 7, an "offer" is tendered. It is made clear the "offer" is conditional on admissions giving preliminary OK. (Why preliminary? Because a full application (including essays and all testing [used to require subject matter tests, but I think that's in the past] is required. Sometimes admissions doesn't focus on red flags earlier, and sometimes red flags appear late.) For those outside the top 7, it's a game of musical chairs. Often a kid getting an offer from HYP can assume other Ivys will make a go, so a kid turning down H opens up a spot to #8, etc. 

• If the kid accepts the "offer" the scramble is on to get the completed application in ASAP. This requires a lot of effort because most HSs are operating on a longer time line; LOR, guidance counselor rec, test results, essays, EVERYTHING must be completed before the special admissions committees for athletes meet and decide.

• if all is OK, a Likely Letter is issued. These letters can be issued as early as September or October- and the earlier the app is in, the quicker it happens.

Before senior year, we visisted most of the Ivys he was interested in - most of the time in response to an invite to "drop in"; if we met with the coach, often a pre-read was offered.

I dont want to be flip, but if you're a straight A student, with the most rigorous curriculum, and a 33+ ACT, if the coach wants you, you've passed the academic hurdle. There is some leeway; and the better the prospect the more leeway. The lowest ACT score of which I am aware was a 28. On son's team there were several with 36s - and they were also fine players.

I will add that if a player is one of the lucky 56 (roughly the number of freshman baseball players receiving Likely Letters), he should think long and hard before before rejecting that preliminary "offer."