Skip to main content

Reply to "How many sports does you son play?"

quote:
Also how many sports do you think you should encourage or allow your son to play?

A very good question. Of course "encourage" and "allow" are worlds apart. I "encouraged" my son(s) to play sports. No sport in particular --- just sports. One son was never into sports other than hunting and shooting sports. My baseball son was always infatuated by any ball and "ball" was the first word he spoke. He started in T ball, flag football, church basketball and I allowed him to play whatever he wanted ---- except socker, skateboarding and motocross. I'm kinda old school and always looked at socker as a foreign sport. I’m not into mangled bodies, body piercing, and skin ink so that’s the reason for no boarding and motocross. He loved to play basketball as a pre-teenager, kick and punt the football, and of course baseball. The goal post still remains as part of our yard landscape and last week he was still punching them through at 50 yds and still booting 40 yard punts. This morning he was hitting a 3 iron from the front yard into the bean field. Now it's baseball and golf and some duck hunting. Yes duck hunting is a sport too. I admit I made a weak effort to discourage football when he was a junior in high school when it became apparent he would play college baseball but I lost that battle to the football coach. I say encourage and support your son to play sports. You may find yourself weighing the pros and cons of multiple sports but that should be a parent(s)/son decision.
Fungo