Skip to main content

Reply to "How Many Times Did a Recruiting Coordinator Watch Your Son Play Before Offer?"

CTbballDad posted:
2019Dad posted:

My son tied the all-time record in this category a few weeks ago (): he got a D1 scholarship offer (which he turned down) this summer from a school where none of the coaches had ever seen him play live. They had seen a webcast (with pretty high production standards -- multiple cameras, announcers, instant replay, etc.) of a HS game he started, so they had "seen" him pitch a complete game, they had seen other video in shorter stints, and they had verified velo from PG and PBR. 

I believe with the rapid spread of cheap video technology, the proliferation of webcasts (between his HS and their opponents, I think 3 of my son's starts this year were webcast), and the ready availability of verified velo (and even spin rate with Rapsodo) this may become more common in the coming years, particularly for pitchers.

Maybe a topic for a separate thread, but fast-forward ten years, if for a HS pitcher in 2028 (1) every HS start is webcast and the recording is available for playback; (2) said webcast has velo; (3) HS pitcher has an online Rapsodo account, to which he can provide access to coaches to data detailing spin rate and movement . . . what need would there be for showcases? 

Was the webcast recorded?  I would think it's uncommon for a college coach to be watching a HS game, while their season is going on.

Yes, recorded and available on the web for full playback later. I think this will become more and more prevalent.