Skip to main content

Reply to "How many travel on College team to away games."

Buckeye 2015 posted:

=.the decision's usually not made until a day or two before the roadtrip starts. Injuries, pitching rotations, etc can determine who goes and who stays home.   

True dat...Quick story.  I ran track in college.  I was told I was going to be redshirted my frosh year about two weeks prior to our first meet.  I was having some issues adjusting to competing at that level.  Happens to most college Frosh.  Not sure if it was the pressure being removed or what, but right after that everything clicked and I adjusted.  I started performing at a level that surpassed my prior bests.  Not a coach said anything to me.  I just kept bringing it to practice.  We have our day before meet meeting and guess whose name was on the "active" roster.  Yep, the did not redshirt me.    I called one of the assistant coaches that I had become close with later that night.  His basic response was "we go with whoever we think can win at that moment.  based on what we have seen the last two weeks we think you can help us win".  

I had already told my entire family (and girlfriend) not to come to the meet as I was going to be redshirted.  None of them planned on traveling to my meet.  Fortunately for me the meet was fairly close to my hometown and some of them were able to rearrange plans and show up.