Skip to main content

Reply to "How Moving The Draft Would Impact College & High School Baseball"

CollegebaseballInsights posted:
CTbballDad posted:
keewart posted:
CollegebaseballInsights posted:
Jason Rylick posted:

Minor leagues changing too.

Agreed.  The pool is smaller. most people on this forum talk College and High School.

"Most of the people on this forum talk College and High School", but the draft includes those players: high school and college.  If MLB reduces the rounds to 20 (as stated as a possibility), that reduces the number of players drafted by HALF.  HALF!  I remember when there were 50 rounds and my guy was just hoping to be drafted out of HS in the 50th round one day......(they reduced it to 40 before keewartson graduated from HS, and it wasn't a real possibility anyway)

It will definitely dash 21st-40th round player's hopes and dreams. 

I wonder how/if the change will impact the foreign draft and unsigned free agents, or will that pool just be bigger?

This is why I am also not a fan of increased salaries, as that will have a further impact on players, and could trickle down to the college and summer ball level, where you'll see more mid-majors drop their programs and a reduction of summer leagues.  Not to mention the small downs that support the MiLB teams, summer teams, etc.

But for many, maybe it's better you not get drafted in round 30 and get a start on your other career.  But it stinks kids will lose that opportunity.  I'm sure there are countless examples of kids drafted in round 20+, who maybe never got a shot at the big leagues, but made careers in baseball, either coaching, instructing, etc. 

Please see attached for all drafts and bonus signing.

I will need to reconcile some of the data.

There were 23 players drafted in rounds 30 - 40 that received signing bonus of 100k or better.

Players signed for reasonable bonuses after round ten (when slot money ends) are typically players convinced to sign rather than head for college.

The was a poster on here a few years ago with a kid adamant he was headed for UNC. He was drafted in the 20th round as a nothing to lose by a MLB franchise. A million dollars changed his mind about heading for college.

This move used to be common in the draft. It’s why MLB created slot money and a signing pool limit for each team. 

Last edited by RJM