Skip to main content

Reply to "How much does position matter?"

Lol.  My 2025 LHP is such an awkward position player.  When not pitching they've stuck him at 1B because he's big and can hit a little.  Honestly though... a below avg fielder.   I had to beg the coach to put him in OF a bit this season just bc I know only having 1b skills is a quick road to PO-ville.  Amazingly in RF he made play after play.  Diving catches.  Sliding shoelace grabs.  We were like "who is this guy".  So you never know.  My boys surprise and amaze me!

You say he’s awkward. What kind of a jump on the ball is he getting? Is he diving for balls other outfielders catch on the run on their feet? Or, in the case of kids who get exceptional jumps, would have been camped under? Questions aside, it’s good for him to learn outfield play.

From midle school through high school I spent hours at the field with my son driving balls straight at him, directly over his head and up the gaps. I ran him ragged. We didn’t waste time with routine flys other than learning how to get behind a catch for a tag throw to third or home.