Skip to main content

Reply to "How much does position matter?"

@DanJ posted:

Definitely not easy.  There are no easy positions, but most feel 1B is the easiEST.  But let's be fair and holistic.  Take a 1B and have him play OF.  What's that look like?  He may not drop 4 balls, but it's more likely he simply didn't get to them in time to even have an opportunity to drop them.

I challenge this one, probably because I have an LHP/1B (well ok PO in college).  First basemen need to scoop a few balls a game, they are also a hot corner for left-hand hitters.   They have a lot of cut responsibilities, bunts, pick-offs from pitchers, etc. Think about how many times they touch a ball in a game.   Most pitchers parents have heard their son complain about the weak 1B when he's on the mound, afraid to throw over?

My son played the field this summer but they threw him in RF mostly.  RF see's significantly less action than 1B.  Touched the ball 3x a game maybe and not because he couldn't get to balls but your point here is good, without a lot of reps the jumps are not as good as full time OF.  That's my two cents.  Son hit great this summer by the way but it's most likely back to PO in 3 weeks!