Skip to main content

Reply to "How much does position matter?"

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Here are the numbers for the outfielders at the 2017 PG National Showcase.

So, that's 34 players who run under 6.8. a few(5-10?) will get drafted, and not play college ball. There are also legit D1 OF's that run under 6.8 who aren't involved with PG...who knows how many...lets say another 75 or so. That's 100 players who run under 6.8.

We have over 300 D1 programs, with three starting OF positions, and at least three other OF'ers(often more), on each team. That's 1800+ OF'ers. Divide by 4, and you get 450+ OF positions at a minimum up for grabs every year in D1. Not all of them are going to be running sub 6.8's. If anything, I think 'm being light on the numbers of OF in most programs, but some players are dual purpose, i.e. utility INF/OF, or P/OF. 

Again, a kid on my son's HS team is going to a P5 D1, and one that is often ranked in the top 50 or so. He is 6', 190lb. 7.15/60, good, but not great arm(mid high 80's). Decent glove, but nothing special. Very Good bat, with power, but not jaw dropping. I mean, he can hit 375-400' bombs in thin northern air, but also flies out a  lot. I would say that his glove, while by no means bad, is likely the worst of his attributes, not his speed.