Skip to main content

Reply to "How much does using wood help?"

I am not trying to hijack the thread and I promise I will get to the point eventually but I am trying to give some perspective. 

I grew up in an era where everyone used wood from 6 to 18.  There were no other competing sports in the spring for young men and accordingly the best athletes were always on the baseball field.  I picked up my first aluminum bat at 18 and could not figure out what all the fuss was about.  Fast forward 15 years and I can't find a wood bat that is made of decent wood for an 8 year old.  The racks were filled with the latest, lightest and most reactive aluminum bats.  I picked one up and was amazed the ball wouldn't crush it on contact.  At 12 I was 5'7" and 140 and at 12 my 1st son was 4'11" and 90 (I know precisely because he wrestled that weight) In LL I hit lots of wood bat home runs but I watched him launch balls over the little league fences and was amazed at how much better he was then me.  His swing must be perfect to generate that type of power!!!  In travel ball it continued and in high school (pre-BBCOR days) he led the district in average and extra base hits.  His 17U team played in a wood bat tournament (seemed silly to me at the time because metal bats were wonderful) He made consistent contact but we began to realize his swing was a lie.  The balls he drove into alleys for doubles were now cut off for singles, balls blasted over the outfielders heads were now lazy fly outs.   The aluminum bat had given us both a false sense of accomplishment.  As he grew I saw things I thought were flaws in his swing but convinced myself "Who are you to comment just watch him hit!"  

Two years later and lots of work on his part and he made his college team (DIII).  So now for the answer to the OP...

I don't think there is a "Right" answer...In this case the aluminum bat gave him a false sense of success and allowed flaws to remain in his swing but it kept him interested in the game and more importantly kept the lacrosse and spring soccer coaches away.  Wood could have meant the end of baseball for him OR it could have helped him develop a swing based on all of the key elements working together.  Great hitters (Bryce Harper, Baez, Springer) make the transition from aluminum to 100% wood with little disruption.  All hitters can make the transition with enough hard work and effort.

I think my bottom line would be for any young ball player whether they swing wood or aluminum the instruction they receive needs to focus on developing a sound fundamental swing and good concept of the strike zone. 

RJM hit on it in his early post.

"i remember in 14u my son fisted a line drive double down the line. I commented to a parent with wood he would be holding a bat handle as he went back to the dugout. Those fisted hits with metal can create a lot of false confidence."

If a parent focuses on the result (double) then we are doing a disservice to our son.  Maybe using wood and breaking it off in his hands is the answer but I think as parents and coaches making sure we praise the process and the diligent work needed to develop a good swing and this can be accomplished with any bat type.

"When a parent allows pride of their children's accomplishment or comparison to others to supersede teaching hard work, discipline and the pursuit of knowledge we have laid a foundation for failure"