Skip to main content

Reply to "How much does using wood help?"

Consultant posted:

Watch Henry Aaron swing "he glides" into the pitch. When we played an exhibition game against "Willie Mays" All Stars. Aaron hit a ball "over' the light towers in El Paso Dudley Field. Like a golf tee shot.

Bob

Bob I agree with you about Aaron. As a matter of fact if a young Hank Aaron was coming up today in baseball I believe his swing would look dramatically different then what it was.

As an industry baseball has realized there is money to be made in teaching and instruction. As an industry the individuals realized they needed something to differentiate themselves from the others. Hitting IMO essentially became a marketing plan. I don't mean to insinuate most coaches don't believe what they are selling or that it is bad, I do mean to insinuate that there is much more in common then people realize.

Hank Aaron and Ted Williams had very different approaches to hitting a baseball. But if you look at it closely they are still about 80% the same and 20% different. I have studied countless swing analysis videos from Lau, O'Leary, Epstein, Twek's and many others, I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows for much flexibility in schedule!! There are some differences but at the end of it they are more successful and sell more product if they convince people they are "right" and others are "wrong" The video I watch doesn't indicate that any of them are dramatically more right or wrong then another. I do have some preferences, as does everyone else, we may not agree on 100% but I can sit and watch a video of any reasonable good swing and compare more common points then differences.