Skip to main content

Reply to "How much has it changed?"

quote:
Originally posted by Pop Up Hitter dad:
This is why we as parents need to jump off the "baseball rat race" we call recruiting. Once you leave HS and in many cases during HS, baseball becomes a "business" and so many are drawn into the vortex of training, select teams, showcases, etc. etc in order to get a scholarship to a JC, let alone the big D1 programs. Most American kids are not dedicated enough to really train on their own and have too many other hobbies that interfere with the time needed to qualify for a big program and this especially includes schoolwork.

PHD:

You are spot on with this comment. I was at the Area Code tryouts in Ca this week and was talking to a scout. I was told later that there were over 70 there….almost 1 to 1 on players…another story. Anyway he said in Ca at least “if you can play we will find you there are just too many of us and word travels” and that there were lots of ways to be seen without spending a lot of money. He said be wary of expensive “scout teams” (his cost $50) He also recommended that we stay away from expensive paid showcases that the best were getting in for free, he said there were lots of parents of marginal players spending lots of money funding “scouting services, showcases etc”

I saw this in Arizona two weeks ago with tons of expensive “academy teams” at the tournament. What happened? Two of the final four teams were put together for just this tournament at low cost to the players and they beat out most of the “academy teams” Why? The kids could play. I saw one well known academy that had 4 teams and none of them made the top 32.

I am not saying I agree 100% just posting what the scout told me and that you can work the system without spending a lot of money. The better the player the less it will cost you. Try to have a realistic view of your son….. I know it is easy to say but hard to do.