Skip to main content

Reply to "How much money do you spend for baseball on your child each year?"

I thought that this topic would be a great time to bring up a point about cost of certain events.

As most of you know or can tell by my titles below, I work for Perfect Game. I was hired 4/1/04 and am a full time employee in California. Before getting hired w/ PG I ran my own tournaments, showcases, etc. Now I feel fortunate that I work for the best baseball company around.

Here is my point....

Last month we ran our WWBA Championships in Ft. Myers, FL. There were 80 teams with 1,500 + players. There were an estimated 650 scouts there (pro and college combined). Obviously this event is the biggest scouted amateur tournament in the country. The big questions is WHY SHOULD CALIFORNIA KIDS GO????

Living out here in CA I feel that we have the best baseball in the country. There are more D-I prospects at one of our Connie Mack games between both rosters then there are at most other Showcases outside of CA, FL, TX. At any given time there will be 8-10 college coaches and 5 or 6 pro scouts at a summer Connie Mack game. There is no question that if you play in CA, you will get that all important "exposure".
Again I ask, WHY WOULD/SHOULD CA KIDS GO ALL THE WAY TO FL TO PLAY?

I get asked this all the time. Before I got hired w/ PG I thought that they shouldn't or didn't need to. Now I see things differently having been out there and seeing the event first hand.

The answer to the questions is......California players do not NEED to go to FL for "exposure". You shouldn't make all of your decisions based on "How many college coaches will be there? How many pro scouts?" There are reasons that I feel should encourage them to WANT to go.

#1-You will have the opportunity to compete with and against the best players in the country. This will give you a chance to see where you fit in. It might make you think that "Wow, that _____ is really good." You may even realize that you yourself are as good or even better then some of the big name players out there.

#2-To have your team compete against the best teams throughout the country. If you win this tournament or even finish in the top 8 then you have accomplished something. Most of the time teams play several teams from their area over and over. Come and play against a team from California, Texas, Ohio, Canada, Puerto Rico, Florida, New York, etc all in the same week!

#3-If you are a player that has already commited to a college and are a draftable guy then traveling will show the MLB organizations that you are serious about baseball. If you are really good then the cross-checkers, scouting directots, and GM's will come to see you in your area. If you travel when you don't have or need to, then that says something. It means tha you want to play.

#4-Simply to have fun. There is a lot of outside elements that go along with making the trip, but when the umpire says "Play Ball" that all goes away. Watching the kids play the game is awesome. Please don't ever take the "fun" factor out of the game.

There are some other resons, but I think you get the point. When it comes to spending money for baseball related things it's not always about exposure or geting something that you have to have. Sure, events like he WWBA Championship are expensive and not everyone can afford to go. You have to do what you and your family can afford. When you make he decisions on what to do don't just make them on what you will get for your money. Remember that baseball is a game and is meant to have players compete and have fun while doing it. IMHO, money spent for baseball is money well spent.
Last edited by TromblyBaseball